Skip to main content
Current Address
Chiyoda-ku, the outer garden of the Imperial Palace / Hibiya Park / Uchisaiwai-cho / Yuraku-cho
Refers to the area around the Hibiya-mon Gate which was between Yurakucho 1 chome and Hibiya Park. Originally it was an inlet of Tokyo Bay and a center of seaweed cultivation, however when Tokugawa Ieyasu entered Edo in 1590, it was landfilled and became land for the residences of several Daimyo (feudal lords). The name of the area came from the fact that "hibi" (bamboo and trees inserted in the water) for cultivating seaweed were often seen here.