Skip to main content
Current Address
Koto-ku, Tomioka
Constructed in 1642 in Asakusa Matsubacho as a place of training for Japanese archery modelled on Kyoto's Sanjusangen-do Hall. Destroyed in a fire in 1698, it was reconstructed on the eastern side of the Tomioka Hachiman-gu Shrine in 1701. It is called Sanjusangen-do Hall because there are 33 ken (a unit of measurement) between the pillars in the front. Because the intervals between the pillars was 2 ken, the actual size of the hall was 66 ken (approximately 120 meters) north to south and 4 ken (approximately 7 meters) east to west. "Toshiya" archery was carried out shooting arrows from the south to north of the hall, and the hall prospered as one of Edo's meisho (famous places). The hall was demolished in 1872 as a result of the Haibutsu Kishaku (anti-Buddhist movement at the beginning of the Meiji Era).