About this site
Posted images are from photo albums and photograph collections held by the National Diet Library. A large number of examples have been selected from the following photo albums and photograph collections in particular.
- Jinzan Chisuicho, Mitsumura Shashinbu, 1902 <Call Number: 401-10>
- Chiri Shashincho, Noguchi Yasuoki, Toyosha, 1900 <Call Number: 87-35>
- Nihon Shashincho, Tayama Muneto, Tomoe Shokai, 1912 <Call Number: 408-51>
- Nihon no Meisho, Segawa Mitsuyuki, Shiden Hensansho, 1900 <Call Number: 403-76>
- Tabi no Iezuto, Mitsumura Shashinbu, 1898-1902 <Call Number: 8-222>
- ⇒Refer to Posted Materials for details
Photo explanations, etc
The title for each photo is an exact transcription of the notation on the posted materials, however old-style kanji characters have been converted to modern kanji and English spelling mistakes have been corrected.
In cases where descriptions and other information related to posted photos are contained in the "NDL Digital Collections" or the "The Landmarks of Edo in Color Woodblock Prints" NDL Digital Exhibition, links are provided to view said descriptions and other information.
In addition, when individuals related to the photos are contained within the "Portraits of Modern Japanese Historical Figures" NDL Digital Exhibition, links are provided to view portraits, simple histories and other information about the individuals.
Addresses are all from the late Meiji to Taisho eras, and have mainly been referenced from photo explanatory notes and NDL Digital Collections linked descriptions.
Columns were created by library employees.
Searching for old photos
The following materials categorize photographic collections held by the NDL and note the details of their contents (captions). Those searching for old photos should refer to these materials.
- "National Diet Library Inventory of Photographic Collections, 1868-1926 (Comprehensive list of the details of contents of photo books and albums possessed by the NDL- Meiji, Taisho version)" Reference Service and Bibliography, No. 33, November 1987 <Call Number: Z21-291>
- National Diet Library Inventory of Photographic Collections, 1926-1945 (Comprehensive list of the details of contents of photo books and albums possessed by the NDL- early Showa version), National Diet Library Special Materials Department, Sold by: Kinokuniya Shoten, 1999 <Call Number: KC711-G5>
Provision began on April 27, 2016.
In general the contents of this exhibition can be linked to freely and without restriction.
In addition, the following banners can be used to link to the site.
Reproduction of the contents
If you wish to reproduce images noted “Repository: …” with an indication on organizations other than the National Diet Library have the original images, please directly contact those organizations.
The rest of the images in the exhibition may be reproduced in other media without permission.
Please read “Utilizing the contents of the website of the National Diet Library” noted on “site policy” on the NDL website in advance, if you wish to reproduce the contents.
Please be aware, however, that the reproduction of content other than images (bibliographic information, document, article, etc.) or of the structure of a digital exhibition, whether in part or in its entirety, requires the completion of the Reproduction Request Form on “Site Policy” on the NDL website.
The National Diet Library strives to make its website accessible to people of all capabilities and ensure that content is perceivable, operable, and understandable in accordance with the National Diet Library accessibility policy (Japanese) based on JIS X 8341-2:2010 “Guidelines for older persons and persons with disabilities- Information and communications equipment, software and services-Part 3: Web content”. We hereby provide our website test results (Japanese).
- Service Planning Division, Reader Services and Collections Department, National Diet Library
- 1-10-1 Nagata-cho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100-8924
- Tel: 03-3581-2331 (Switchboard)
- E-mail: webcont